1st February 2015 - Instructional
Fueling for Focus & Productivity
Up to 80% of your blood sugar can be used up whilst engaged in mental activity so it is vital that you fuel regularly and well throughout your working day to maintain good, steady blood sugar levels. Below are some healthy snacks to keep you energised & engaged during the day.
- A PIECE OF FRUIT- Ideal snack fruits are cherries, berries, apples, pears, plums, peaches, papaya, pineapple & avocado.
- CRACKERS WITH TOPPING- Crackers such as ryvita, kallo rice cakes or Nairns/Patersons oatcakes. Spread with hummus, peanut butter (no added salt or sugar), cottage cheese, cucumber strips, peppers or cherry tomatoes.
- YOGHURT- Low fat unsweetened natural bio-yoghurt. Try adding some pumpkin, sunflower and/or linseeds.
- RAW NUTS, SEEDS & RAISINS- A tablespoon of seeds, 5/6 nuts and a few raisins.
- VEGETABLE STICKS- Of your choice possibly with some hummus.
- SMOKED SALMON ON RYE/WHOLEGRAIN BREAD- Try to go for wild salmon rather than farmed and fresh salmon if you don’t like smoked.
- DARK CHOCOLATE & PISTACHIO NUTS- Choose a low sugar product containing 70% or greater cocoa content- only a few squares with 5/6 nuts.
- BISCUITS- Wheat free oat biscuits. Nairns are a good brand, try stem ginger, mixed berries or fruit & spice.