As some of you may be aware, mindfulness practice can be hard to establish as a habit at times as we can often look to distract ourselves with other activities or struggle with carving out the time (ironically this is a big part of what mindfulness is training us to manage). What can be a useful way to help us engage with the practice is to educate ourselves through books, podcasts and videos to help us understand what the practice is, how to use it and the benefits plus get inspired by some great teachers. I also appreciate that we would all love our children to embody some of the skills that mindfulness can provide but how do we get them to engage with the practice? Well, there are some brilliant resources for this too.
Check out some of the useful books and links below that you may find useful to understand more on how to integrate mindfulness into yours and your family's daily life.
• Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Finding Peace in a Frantic World by Mark Williams and Dr Danny Penman
• A Mindfulness Guide for the Frazzled by Ruby Wax
• Wherever You Go, There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn
• Body, Mind, and Sport: The Mind-body Guide to Lifelong Health, Fitness, and Your Personal Best by John Douillard •
The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down: How to Be Calm and Mindful in a Fast Paced World by Haemin Sunim
• Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation: A 28-Day Program” by Sharon Salzberg
• Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids (and Their Parents) by Eline Snel
• Mindful Games: Sharing Mindfulness and Meditation with Children, Teens, and Families by Susan Kaiser Greenland
• Yoga and Mindfulness Practices for Children Card Deck by Jennifer Cohen Harper
• Hardwiring Happiness by Rick Hanson
• Mindfulness, Sports & Performance | George Mumford: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A27EQ1YsJ_E&t=135s
• How Meditation Can Reshape Our Brains: Sara Lazar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8rRzTtP7Tc&t=15s
• Compassionate Mind: An interview with Professor Paul Gilbert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrgxdV7PoMQ
• The Science of Self-Compassion | Kristin Neff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0gtnOXAp-U
• Podcasts Archives - Jack Kornfield: https://jackkornfield.com/category/podcasts/
• Mini the Puppy | Cosmic Kids Zen Den - Mindfulness for kids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7FUbTac_ds
So, there is enough studying, listening and knowledge to keep you going here for a lifetime with some of the greatest minds that influence the world of mindfulness, mental health, performance and wellbeing.
If you would like to train yourself in the skills and techniques of mindfulness more formally at your own pace, please check out my online mindfulness course: https://www.totalhealth.uk.com/intro-to-mindfulness-online-course
To your health, Craig